Green Hill Lookoff Pioneer Museum

Information obtained a number of years ago regarding Green Hill Look-Off from phone conversations between Lincoln (Buddy) Rose, son of Clifford Rose and James Porter. Mr. Rose resided in Edmonton, Alberta at the time of the conversation and Mr. James Porter was a Green Hill resident.

The tower was the first building built in approximately 1931. The museum followed in 1933 and the dance hall in 1934. The fun (crazy) house or palace of fun was added later.

The tower was accessible through the door in the canteen. .10c was charged to go through the tower. 10,000 people paid the ten cents admission the first year. A Deleo plant run by gas supplied lights for the tower. It ran for quite a few years until electricity went through.

The museum made of logs was also accessible through a door in the canteen and a walkway. It also had a ten cents admittance fee. It held a number of curiosities pieces, pioneer articles, etc, also a large bicycle with three wheels - a large one on front and the Gammon Stage Coach which ran from Halifax - Pictou and later from Pictou - River John.

Ramsey MacDonald, Prime Minister of Great Britain visited the Maritimes and toured Green Hill. He presented Mr. Rose with $20 or $25. Mr. Rose purchased a grist mill for the museum with this money.

Before Mr. Rose and his partner sold it to the Provincial government all the people who had loaned articles to the museum were contacted and asked where they wanted the articles to go or whether they wanted them returned to the family.

The canteen to the left of the tower sold hot dogs, candy and ice cream. There was a door to the canteen on which Mr. Rose carved a peddler into the pine. He also carved a totem pole which stood in the middle of the parking lot. Mr. Rose said it was unbelievable the amount of ice cream and bars that was sold to the visitors to feed the bear that was in a cage or pen to the side of the museum. The first bear was brought over from Anticosti Island by boat in a cage and transferred to a cage prepared for him at the edge of the woods. Several hours later the bear was missing and a tracker had to be hired to find him.

The dance hall was large and dances were held on Wednesday and Friday nights. Admission was .50 cents, Royal Swingsters played there plus old time fiddlers and many others. At the back of the dance hall, ice was packed in sawdust to keep the ice cream and other perishables.

Later Mr. Rose built a covered area beside the canteen with tables where people could have their lunch.

Behind the museum there were large swings and tilts.

On Labor Day weekend, the firemen had their picnic and hundreds would come. Danny MacLellan of New Glasgow set up a fair, merry-go-round, games of chance, etc. It was set up especially for that weekend. The farmers also had a big picnic there every year once haying was over.