Information from a booklet "Recollections of Alma and Greenhill" compiled by Mrs. George MacDonald in 1967.
"Approximately one and a quarter miles from Alma off route 4 is the Green Hill Look-Off. The top of the observation tower is seven hundred feet above sea level, where one has a most panoramic view of the shores of Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island as well as the four counties on the mainland. This tower was built in 1931, by Mr. Clifford Rose and Mr. A. D. Ross of New Glasgow. The land was purchased from Mr. Alex Tom Fraser. In 1932 a dance hall was added. In 1933 a museum was built, here were a great many relics of former days, mostly from Pictou County. To mention a few from outside – a shoe and jacket worn by the Giantess Anna Swan, the coach in which the then Prince of Wales travelled from Truro to Pictou, before the railway was built. This coach is now on exhibition in Banff. (Queen Elizabeth rode in it on her last visit to Canada.) Also a pair of snow shoes worn by Dr. John Pringle in the Klondyke, and many other relics from that country, A. D. Ross having spent a number of years there. After Mr. Ross passed away the Roses continued to carry on. Visitors from all over the world have their names on the visitors book. Owing to ill-health the Roses’ had to retire. In 1960 the Provincial Government bought the land and contents of the Museum, these they removed to the Museum in Halifax, and the Look-Off grounds are a Picnic Park."